Rabbit Hash General Store Building (Rabbit Hash, Ky.)

Item

Title

Rabbit Hash General Store Building (Rabbit Hash, Ky.)

Alternate name

Stephens General Store Building (Rabbit Hash, Ky.)

Description

Historic Status: National Register of Historic Places--Rabbit Hash District
Floor Plan: N/A
Famed far beyond Boone County's borders, this Rabbit Hash landmark is the best-known and best-preserved general store in Northern Kentucky. The building's central storeroom is of vertical board construction with four principal posts down each side wall; it is believed to date from circa 1830. The flanking sheds were added later, as was the raised parapet with Coca-Cola sign.
Originally built at road level, the building was subsequently raised on pilings to protect it from floods; an ingenious system of iron anchor bolts also was installed, designed to tie the building to the ground in high water. These design features helped preserve the building when historic floods ravaged the town in 1937.
The store has been restored and is a tourist attraction as well as a local amenity. It was added to the National Register in 1989.

Has beginning

Construction Date: 1831

Identifier

Kentucky Historic Resources Inventory designation: BE 330
National Register reference number: 88003293
National Archives identifier: 123845673

Full address

10021 Lower River Road

Political division

Located within

Related resource

Latitude

38.96129671

Longitude

-84.61908317

Target coordinates

706292.590 m
4315177.676 m

Bibliographic citation

Historic Structures of Boone County, page 70
Survey of Historic Sites, page 95

Source

Item sets

Rabbit Hash General Store Building