Anderson Ferry (Constance, Ky.)



Anderson Ferry (Constance, Ky.)


Located in Constance, the Anderson Ferry is named for George Anderson, who bought it in 1817 from Raleigh Colston. The Andersons built a large stone house overlooking the ferry where the family resided and operated a tavern. The Anderson family owned the ferry operation until 1841, when son Evan transferred the property to Montague McClure. According to legend, the transfer was the result of a lost poker game. However, there is evidence the Underground Railroad played a role in the property transfer.
The ferry business changed hands numerous times until 1865, when Charles Kottmyer bought it for $2,800, along with two acres of land. Two years later, Mr. Kottmyer converted the ferry operation from horsepower to steam power. Kottmyer's first steam ferry was christened Boone No. 1 in honor of Daniel Boone. Since 1867, nine ferries have been named for Daniel Boone, the last being Boone No. 9 in 1992. Four generations of the Kottmyer family owned the business until it was sold to Paul Anderson in 1986. It isn't certain if Paul is related to the original Anderson family. Today, three ferryboats make numerous trips across the Ohio River 364 days a year. It remains one of the oldest continuously running ferry operations in the United States, with over 190 years of service.

Has site

Geographic location



Participant in

Related resource

Item sets

The Anderson Ferry crossing the Ohio River

Linked resources

Filter by property

Title Alternate label Class
Anderson family Related resource Organization
1841--Anderson Ferry Related resource Event